Looking for Some Best Practices for Creating Engaging Quests in Your Ascension Game ??

daviddmiller

Question

Spoiler

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on my game project using the Ascension Game Development kit and I am focusing on building quests that keep players hooked. I have seen some fantastic examples in the community but would love to hear your tips and best practices.

Specifically, I am interested in:-

Quest structure: What is the best way to balance main and side quests: ?? Any advice on progression without making it feel too linear: ??
Engagement: How do you create quests that feel meaningful and rewarding without relying too much on fetch quests or grinding: ??
Story integration: What’s the most effective way to tie quests into the overall game story, so they enhance immersion rather than feel disconnected: ??
Tools and tricks: Are there any built-in tools or plugins you recommend for managing quest complexity: ??

I have also read this thread https://www.ascensiongamedev.com/topic/1860-tutorial-step-by-step-quest-creation-using-quest-editor-tensorflow/ it helped me alot but now looking for more tips and advice.

Thanks in advance for the help.

David Miller

1 answer to this question

1. The main quests I do are usually lengthy and more cinematic than the side ones. You discover pieces of the main story arc, meet a different cast of NPCs and will fight important antagonists. On the flipside, side quests are treated like region side stories related to a single character, but are still cinematic in some way. (ie: NPC gets his bag stolen from a band of bandits; you have to head to their hideout and take it back)
It doesn't always have to be : Kill 10 wolves or collect 5 bear anuses. 
I recommend looking at JRPGs side content, like Octopath Traveler or Final Fantasy.

2. Check point 1 for the answer.

3. Disconnection from main story isn't a bad thing for side content. It is a great way to introduce more lore about the current zone instead of the actual greater story.

4. No plugins are available from the get-go at the moment and any automation may make your content feel super stale and boring IMO.